Pages

Saturday 3 May 2014

Golden Days


For most of us the first thing that runs through our mind when we hear the word 'summer vacation' is 'Grandparents house'.

In my case I grew up with my maternal grandmother. She did whole of my parenting. Her home was not really a vacation place for me, I had the best part of my life spent with her, back in my hometown. 

I always felt like she was my twin sister, even though i respected her age.  I always felt comfortable and safe when she was next to me. As a child I always thought she would protect me from anything that can happen on earth.  I hug her tight when i get bad dreams because I believe no evil can harm her as she was regular with her prayers.

When I was a kid. We used to have running race at the parking lot of our apartment, My friends were jealous because my grandmother was young and healthy unlike their grannies to play catch&catch or hide&seek.
I really laugh when I think of the scene- little me shouting to her "Don`t forget to give Kevin(my stuffed doll) lunch, he is hungry" from the main door,before leaving for my tuition classes. She replies "Of course dear, Make sure you are back before he finds out that you are not here"
She always made me feel that my fantasies of dolls having life and fairy Godmothers, did really exist in the real world. 
She was an angel who safe guarded me from getting beatings from my mom. 

When I was in my fourth grade we both secretly decided to shift to Kerala. Home with both of us alone was a heaven. She loved me being mischievous. She never stopped me from doing crazy things like moving about in my grandpa`s dhoti and vest with a charcoal mustache on my face . We played, we fought, we cooked, did gardening, went to temples ,bhajanas, visited houses, attended functions.. in fact everything together.People called me her tail (vaalu), because they never found us apart. We never liked someone else (other family members) entering our comfort zones. 

As I grew up, She protected my pride from my parents when I score less in exams and boasted when I score well, Kept advertising when I won prizes. We kept lot of secrets too within us. 

When I was put in hostel during my high school, I wait for second Saturdays to rush to her. I sit at the kitchen counter hours, explaining all that happened for the past one month. She used to bring me my favourite lunch ('pothichoru'- consisted of curd rice, coconut chutney, potato fry and my favourite mango pickle ♥) during weekends. We sit together on the steps of lonely basket ball court in my school talking.

All these golden moments vanished as I move out of Kerala to do my higher studies, which she never liked but silently accepted her resignation. Everything is just memories at present and I love to cherish all those sweet memories of mine with her.

Now that she has become more old and weak but still smart and quick witted as always. She talks less and pray more. She finds happiness while watering plants or cooking. Her silence shows us her detachment from material world. Her priorities have changed.

'NO MATTER HOW PERFECT A DAY IS, IT HAS TO COME TO AN END.'
-Stephanie Meyer

But am glad that I was the luckiest among all her grandchildren to grow up with her, to have known her, to have taken care of her.


No comments:

Post a Comment