Pages

Saturday, 15 November 2014

Movie Mania

A few of my friends have been asking me to share some thoughts and recommendations on films. It made me wonder what I actually know about cinema. So, rather than pretending to be an expert, I thought I would simply share a few films, directors and actors whose work I have enjoyed and would recommend.

I am quite choosy about spending a couple of hours in front of a screen. I tend to think of time as an investment, so I like to feel that a film has given me something in return, whether that is a new thought, a different perspective, a good story or simply a memorable experience.

I have a particular fondness for Malayalam cinema. I find that many Malayalam films are built around strong themes and characters that feel grounded in real life. The industry has produced some remarkable performances and has gradually moved far beyond the limitations that once defined much of its mainstream image. Malayalam stories often draw from the reality around us, and cinema is frequently used as a way of communicating ideas and experiences rather than simply providing entertainment.

That does not mean I have anything against pure comedy. I enjoy humour just as much as anyone else. I enjoy films that make me laugh, but I also like it when there is something underneath the laughter. For me, the best films entertain without making me feel that my time has been spent on entertainment alone.

I also have great respect for films regardless of their language, genre or imperfections. Every film is the result of the work of many people, and there is something to appreciate in that effort even when the final product does not appeal to me personally.

Outside Malayalam cinema, I have always had an affinity for films with a strong sense of history, society and identity. Lagaan and Kaalapani are two examples that come to mind.

I also find myself drawn to Bengali cinema. Perhaps it is because I enjoy poetry and stories that are willing to confront uncomfortable truths rather than offer easy answers. Bengal has given Indian cinema some extraordinary filmmakers, writers and actors. Satyajit Ray's The Apu Trilogy is an obvious example, but there is much more to explore beyond it.

I usually find myself choosing films based on their directors and, sometimes, their cast. Not simply because of their popularity, but because certain filmmakers have a particular way of looking at the world. Their names give me enough confidence to try a film without knowing much about it beforehand.

Malayalam

Adoor Gopalakrishnan

Adoor Gopalakrishnan is one of the most respected filmmakers in Indian cinema. It is difficult for me to single out one or two films from his body of work because so many of them are worth exploring. If you have not watched his films before, I would simply suggest starting anywhere and seeing where his cinema takes you.

Anjali Menon

Anjali Menon brings something warm and contemporary to her films, while still retaining a sense of nostalgia. I particularly enjoy her direction and the way she handles relationships and ordinary moments. Manjadikuru is a lovely example, especially for its evocation of childhood, village life and memories of a bygone world.

Shyamaprasad

Shyamaprasad has developed a distinctive style and a strong sense of character. Artist and Ore Kadal are two films of his that I would recommend.

Sreenivasan and Vineeth Sreenivasan

Sreenivasan is known not only for his acting but also for his work as a screenwriter and director. Mazhayethum Munpe is one of the films I particularly like.

His son Vineeth Sreenivasan's Thira is another film worth mentioning. I admired the way it dealt with a difficult subject without unnecessarily exaggerating it. The film was inspired by the work of social activist Sunitha Krishnan and brings its subject into focus through a compelling thriller.

P. Padmarajan

One of the pioneers of mature Malayalam cinema. Thoovanathumbikal remains one of the films that stands out for me among his work.

Blessy

Blessy is another filmmaker whose work I tend to seek out. His debut, Kazhcha, and films such as Thanmathra, Pranayam and Calcutta News are good places to start.

Jayan K. Cherian

I came across his work through Papilio Buddha, a film that deals with caste, landlessness and the suppression of marginalised communities. It is not an easy film, but it is certainly one that leaves you thinking.

These are only a handful of suggestions. Malayalam cinema has a long list of filmmakers whose work is worth exploring, including Shaji N. Karun, Bharathan, T. V. Chandran, I. V. Sasi, Sathyan Anthikad, Sibi Malayil, Kamal and  Fazil.

Among actors, I would particularly recommend exploring the work of Shobana, Revathi and Sreenivasan.

Bengali

I would not claim to know the Bengali film industry well enough to make a definitive list, but I have always enjoyed Aparna Sen's work as a director. Her films often leave space for the audience rather than explaining everything. Some of her films end without giving you a neatly packaged conclusion, which I find quite appealing.

The Japanese Wife, The Last Letter and Mr. and Mrs. Iyer are among the films I would suggest trying.

Other filmmakers worth exploring include Aniruddha Roy Chowdhury, particularly Antaheen and Anuranan, and Rituparno Ghosh, with films such as Chokher Bali and Raincoat.

Among actors, Rahul Bose, Soumitra Chatterjee, Raima Sen, Konkona Sen Sharma and Rajat Kapoor are names whose work I would happily explore.

Tamil

Tamil cinema is enormous, and there is far more to it than action, stunts and punch dialogues. I have only scratched the surface, but a few filmmakers have particularly stood out for me.

Kamal Haasan

Kamal Haasan began his journey in Indian cinema as a child actor and went on to explore almost every aspect of filmmaking, including acting, writing, singing, choreography, directing and producing.

It is difficult to discuss his work without sounding overly enthusiastic, so I will simply say that Nayakan is one film everyone interested in Indian cinema should experience. His work has repeatedly crossed regional and linguistic boundaries.

Gautham Vasudev Menon

I find something in his films that reminds me of what I enjoy about Bengali cinema. His stories can be raw, emotional and uncomfortable, and they often avoid making life look more polished than it really is.

Vaaranam Aayiram and Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa are two films I would recommend exploring.

Mani Ratnam

Mani Ratnam is another filmmaker whose work has had a considerable influence on Indian cinema. Films such as Roja, Bombay, Dil Se, Kannathil Muthamittal, Iruvar, Yuva and Guru have explored politics, conflict, identity and relationships in very different ways.

For something more romantic, Alaipayuthey remains one of my favourites. And if you are exploring his work for the first time, Thalapathi is certainly worth adding to the list.

Among actors, Suhasini, Prakash Raj, Kamal Haasan and Mammootty are names whose choice of projects I often find interesting, including their work in Tamil cinema.

Bollywood and Hindi cinema

This is where making a short list becomes difficult. There are simply too many films worth mentioning, so instead of pretending this is a definitive selection, here are a few that I would suggest looking out for, particularly if you have not already seen them:

Page 3
Peepli Live
Rann
Fire
Black
1947: Earth
City of Joy
Ship of Theseus
Salaam Bombay!
Morning Raga
Midnight's Children
The Reluctant Fundamentalist

When it comes to directors, Deepa Mehta, Mira Nair and Anand Gandhi are among the names that come to mind.

For actors, Shabana Azmi, Nandita Das and Konkona Sen Sharma are three whose projects I tend to look forward to because of the kinds of stories they choose.

Anyway, these are not meant to be a definitive list of the best films in Indian cinema. They are simply a few suggestions from someone who enjoys films that entertain, but also leave you with something to think about.

Hopefully this helps shorten your own "films to watch" list a little.

Have a fun weekend, and happy watching!


'Antaheen'/ 'The Endless Wait' One movie which stole by heart. An amazing story which casts all my favourite artists.

A must watch movie about a teacher and his special student, inspired by Helen Keller`s life story.







2 comments:

  1. Wareaaaawaaaahhhhhhh you have Gud taste abt movies, love to c some of ma fav movies in ur list too, as you sed I didn't Seen bengali movies yet, one or two malayalam movies too But I lik all other list. Btw Happy to know you follow Tamil movies too.. Gud sharing.. Keep doing.. Thanx :)

    ReplyDelete