Chitra Subramaniam, a pioneer of Indian journalism, a brave daughter of India, in conversation with Madhu Trehan, one of the women who broke new ground in magazine journalism and played a defining role in the making of the India Today Group.
This is one of the most absorbing interviews I have ever watched. Chitra speaks candidly about the editorial battles at The Hindu, the pressures she faced while investigating the Bofors scandal, and why, even after all these years, India still does not know the complete truth about Bofors.
I am so glad I stumbled upon this video on YouTube, published in 2012 by Newslaundry, whose work I have long admired, especially Madhu Trehan’s Clothesline series. Seeing two women I deeply admire in journalism in the same frame was special. As I watched, I began to understand the immense pressures Chitra had to withstand while working on the Bofors investigation, as well as the many limitations journalists can face when they get too close to the truth.
What struck me most was her courage. She continued her work even when the Indian government refused to provide her security. She never gave up or turned back, even when she was being pulled and shaken from every direction. Her determination is remarkable.
Yet, what I admired most in this interview was her humility. She speaks about investigating one of the biggest scandals in India's history, one that involved a sitting Prime Minister, without arrogance or self importance. There is a quiet strength in the way she recounts what she went through.
Journalists such as Chitra Subramaniam remind us that journalism is not about visibility, television studios or celebrity. It is about asking difficult questions, pursuing uncomfortable truths and having the courage to stand by your work when the consequences are real.
Barkha Dutt and Sagarika Ghose, who have become prominent voices in Indian journalism, could learn something from Chitra Subramaniam's example. Before claiming a place in the history of Indian journalism, one must do the kind of journalism that actually leaves a mark on the history of the country.
Chitra did that. And she did it with courage, conviction and remarkable humility.
No comments:
Post a Comment