Pages

Friday, 24 October 2014

'HAIDER' Movie Review

The much awaited dark drama directed and co produced by Vishal Bhardwaj was released on October 2, 2014.

I received a WhatsApp message from a friend asking if someone could accompany her to watch Haider. By then, I had already heard a review from another friend who had watched the first day, first show. She said the movie had too much blood and violence and, overall, she did not like it. Personally, I have never been a big fan of action movies, so I passed on the review to a few other friends without realising the gem I was missing.

The friend who was eagerly waiting for the movie asked me, “Don’t you think it is too early to judge?”

Yesterday, I finally watched Haider, and I regret judging it so quickly. What an amazing adaptation of Shakespeare’s Hamlet! I was deeply impressed, and it was obvious how much work Shahid Kapoor had put into the character of Haider. Shraddha Kapoor, Tabu, Irrfan Khan and Kay Kay Menon were equally impressive. I have been a fan of Kay Kay Menon since the day I watched Black Friday.

Vishal Bhardwaj has given an intelligent take on the Kashmir issue using the framework of an old Shakespearean tragedy. He has always been different in his choice of stories and in the way he presents them.

The story is set in Kashmir, one of the most beautiful places and a favourite location for Bollywood filmmakers, with its snow covered mountains and beautiful landscapes. But Vishal goes beyond the usual romantic image of Kashmir. He brings in its political history, conflict and intrigue, making the setting an important part of the story.

A director is someone who brings out the best in an actor, and Vishal Bhardwaj certainly knows how to do that. He seems drawn to complicated stories and characters that explore the grey areas of human nature.

I never thought Shahid Kapoor could handle such veeryam, or valour, and roudram, the intense rage and anger of revenge. I have always known he was talented, especially after watching him in Kaminey, but in Haider he appears in a completely different avatar from his usual fun loving roles.

His street play in the movie is astounding. Shahid going bald for the first time, his one liners and even his Prabhu Deva inspired dance moves are some of the other highlights.

There is violence in the movie, but much of it conveys something deeper, directly or indirectly. Some scenes were difficult for me to watch, but I felt the violence was necessary to show the extent of the suffering and torture experienced by innocent people in Kashmir.

The word “chutzpah” has become one of my favourites now. If I had to describe the whole movie in one word, it would be chutzpah. Marvellous!

P.S. Haider is a poignant tale of love, revenge and relationships.





No comments:

Post a Comment